Essex Birding Summer/Autumn 2018
In addition to regular features such as the Chairman's Watchpoint, Wood's warblings and latest news, this edition includes articles on:
EBwS Conference Report
Steve Swinney reports on the conference that was held on March 17th 2018 on 'Coastal and
Marshland Birds of Essex'.
Giving Essex birds a ring at Two Tree Island
David Wilkinson highlights his work with CES (Constant Effort Sites) to monitor the breeding and population trends of the birds at Two Tree Island.
Essex birding from your car: birding for the less mobile
Mark Bridges provides helpful advice for those who want to bird watch in Essex without having to walk very far.
The garden birds of La Molina, Lima
Andrew Stroud describes the garden birds that were seen on a recent visit to Lima, Peru.
Hawfinch Invasion - autumn/winter 2017-18
Autumn 2017 saw the appearance of large numbers of Hawfinches in Essex as Andrew Cox explains.
Oare Marshes Local nature Reserve
Kevin Duvall provides a birdwatcher's guide to the Oare Marshes nature reserve, an internationally important site for migratory and breeding wetland birds that has SSSI, Ramsar, LNR ans SPA status.
- Wildlife of Thailand, 5th Jan 2018 - Graham Ekins opened the Society's 2018 programme of Indoor Meetings with an excellent talk on a part of Asia which has a unique location in world.
- Nightjars, Woodlarks and Dartford Warblers, 2nd Feb 2018 - Dr Greg Conway, 20-years a Research Ecologist with the Terrestrial Ecology team at the BTO provided an informative talk on 3 species from Thetford area of East Anglia .
- Kakapo - Night Parrot of New Zealand, 6th Apr 2018 - Ed Keeble introduced us to the Kakapo - "One of the most wonderful living birds, a very large, heavy parrot'..
Reports on the Field Trips organised by the society from the beginning to 2018:
- Rainham Marshes RSPB Reserve, 14th Jan 2018
- RSPB Dungeness Reserve, 11th Feb 2018
- Rutland Water, Egleton & Lyndon Reserves, 8th Apr 2018
- RSPB Titchwell Marshes Reserve, 13th May 2018
- Lakenheath Fen RSPB Reserve, 10th June 2018
Geoff Gibbs reviews My House of Sky - The life and work of J.A. Baker, by Hetty Saunders.
North Thames Gull Group
An update by Paul Roper on the work of the North Thames Gull Group.
Lesley Collins recounts the experiences of a birdwatching trip in the Gambia with Swallow Birding.
What's in a name?
Gerry Johnson outlines some of the developments in the classification of bird species and why a need to international standardisation is important.
Winter in Thordon Park
Andrew Cox reveals what can be seen in Thorndon Park in winter - an area rich in birdlife, in spite of the high visitor numbers.
Bird Reports Nov 2017 - Apr 2018
Bird reports from around the county including Abberton Reservoir, Dengie Peninsula, Foulness Island, Hanningfield Reservoir, Langdon Hills and Thameside Nature Park, Maldon area, Mersea Island, Metropolitan Essex (LNHS area), North and North-east Essex, RSPB Rainham Marhses, Southend area, Wat Tyler and Vange Marsh.